Under-cabinet lights are more than just decorations in your kitchen. It not only maintains a pleasing visual ambiance but it also makes kitchen work easier by reducing shadows under those cabinets. In the long run, under cabinet lighting can help reduce eyestrain and even stress.
Since under cabinet lighting systems let you use a wide variety of bulbs, you are free to use any bulb types and designs. Now, installing under cabinet lights can be a little intimidating. Let this guide on how to install under cabinet lighting walk you through the process.
Getting a Lighting Set
Determine the type of lighting set you will need for your kitchen. You can choose between LEDs, fluorescents, incandescent, xenon, and halogen. If you can’t decide on a lighting type, then try an LED lighting set. LEDs usually go well with any kitchen design.
Also, since LEDs consume less energy than most of its counterparts, you can save a lot of money in the long run. Under-cabinet lighting sets come in different designs so feel free to choose designs that suit your taste. You can check out various lighting designs on local stores or online sellers.
Sale Under Cabinet LED Lighting kit, 6 PCS LED Strip Lights with Remote Control Dimmer and Adapter, Dimmable for Kitchen Cabinet,Counter,Shelf,TV Back,Showcase 2700K Warm White, Bright, Timing
- DIY LED light strip: 6 PCS pre-cut strips, total 9.8ft, many kinds of connection option, Great way to upgrade your cabinets, closet, desk, TV back, bookshelf, bed, wardrobe, display case etc
- Super Bright & Brightness adjustable: Super bright LED cabinet lights delivers total 1500 lumen, Came with RF dimmer to adjust the brightness
- Reliable kit: UL listed adapter and strip. The LED tape light working voltage is DC12V, extremely Low voltage and heat.
Under Cabinet Lighting Kit, 4pcs 12 Inches Under Counter lights, 12W 840 Lumens Dimmable LED Kitchen Cabinet Strip Lights, Daylight(6000K)
- 【Super Bright LED】:33 leds for each light bar, whole set super bright 840 lm with quality light source which is even, flicker-free, non-ghosting and non-shadow. Can reduce eye strain and avoids eye fatigue
- 【Flexible Install】Full accessories include screws, self-adhesive, fixed angle connector，connect wire and light buckle. Be quickly and easily install the under cabinet lighting in your kitchen.
- 【Dimmable 10 Levels Brightness】Adjustable brightness (0%~100%) 16 levels dimming，the dimmer with memory function, will remember your last brightness when you turn on the light in the next time.
Tesfish LED Strip Lights, 6 PCS x 19.6In RGB Under Cabinet Lighting, Backlight, Waterproof LED Color Changing Rope Lights with Power Adapter and Remote for Home Decor, Kitchen, Bedroom, Shelf
- Application: DIY RGB LED strip lights Kit, 19.6In per strip 6 PCS LED pre-cut strips total 9.8ft with 12V power adapter and remote controller for Under Cabinet Lighting, backlight, TV backlight, Kitchen, garden, shelf decoration Lights easy to install, energy saving and safe to use.
- Waterproof: LED Strips PCB Boards coverded Silica gel, With astigmatism function (avoid direct light ), waterproof, waterproof level:IP65(Can't be placed underwater).
- Easy to install: No need screw, tape lighting with Strong double-sided tape and extra double-sided adhesive buckles we prepared for you, select 1-6 PCS LED strips to conection and install according to your needs.
Your Power Source
If you already have a power source and a switch near the installation spot of your lights then have the wires ready so you can connect the wires after installing the lights.
If you don’t have a power source yet, you will need to tap a connection from other power sources or make a new circuit from the main power line. In case you are not sure how to go about this, you can always hire an electrician to do the work for you. Don’t forget to wear your safety equipment.
Decide on the Layout of the Lights
Lay the lights underneath the spot where you want to install the lights. This should give you a good idea on how the lights would look on your kitchen. You should also include connecting cords in the layout especially if you are going to use one power source for multiple lights.
Certain manufacturers recommend that the lights should around 10-12 inches apart. To get the best lighting, install the lights right at the front edge of the cabinet.
Cleaning The Cabinets
After deciding on the layout of the lighting, you can start with the installation. Before that, you should clean your cabinets and take away things that might distract you. You will likely need to go through the cabinets for installing the wires. So, make sure you remove all the items in your cabinet. Also, ensure the cabinets are dry to prevent electrocution during the installation.
Turn off the Power
During the installation, make sure that the kitchen power is off. In your main panel, find the power switch kitchen area and turn it off. For your safety, test the power supply and see to it that there is no current. You can use a tester for this.
Drill holes on the installation spots. You will need to make holes for the screws as well as holes for the wires. If you are planning to run the wires outside the cabinet, you won’t need to make holes for the wires.
Mount the Sockets and Run the Wires
Fasten the light bulb sockets under the cabinet with screws. And then, run the wires through the sockets and connect the wire to the electrical switch. This may take some time depending on where you want the wires to run through.
Install the Bulbs
After securing the sockets and wires, mount the light bulbs on the socket. Once you’re done, turn the power back on and test your lighting system. You shouldn’t have any problems when everything is done properly.
Observe the Lights
Check if the lights are properly working. If you see any functional defects on any of the bulbs, feel free to contact the manufacturer. These lights usually come with a warranty. Hence, you can have those defective lights replaced with new ones.
Ultra Thin Under Cabinet Lighting Wireless with 70 LED Bulbs- Motion Sensor Light for Kitchen Counter/Stairs/Hallway/Wardrobe/Closet Light, USB Rechargeable Magnet LED Lights Stick on Anywhere 16In
- Upgraded version of ultra-thin sensor wall light : Tasera cabinet lighting, 70 LED bulbs, bright, soft, flicker-free lighting, can be used 80,000H, energy-saving and environmentally friendly, can be lit anytime, anywhere, providing warm lighting to drive away the dark
- 120° wide-angle motion sensor: Tasera Cabinet Light has a 120° wide-angle motion sensing mode that automatically turns on when the human body motion is within 10 ft / 120 °. When people leave, it automatically turns off after 18 s, Intelligent optical sensor is adopted to detect the ambient illumination. The light will only be on when the working environment brightness is lower than 10LUX
- USB Rechargeable - Built-in rechargeable 1500mAh battery that can be easily charged via the USB cable (included). When fully charged, the cabinet lights can last for about 4-6 hours in continuous on mode and 3 months in motion sensing mode.
Having under cabinet lights will not only make your kitchen look better but it will also make kitchen work a lot easier. Under-cabinet lighting system let you customize your light set so you can get the look you desire. When deciding on a lighting set, you would want to pick LEDs since they are energy efficient and come with various designs.
View price and Buy